A deep conditioning mask is a powerful hair care tool that doesn’t get enough appreciation. There are times when our hair needs a little something extra to reach its full potential, and a hair mask could be just the right product.
When used properly, a hair mask or hydrating scalp mask can give very impressive results, especially for dry, damaged, or overprocessed hair.
Let’s learn about the major hair mask benefits, why you should be using a deep conditioning mask in your hair care routine, and the best ways to use a hair mask.
What Exactly Is a Hair Mask, and How Is It Different from a Conditioner?
Conditioners are formulated mainly to soften hair that’s dry and perhaps a bit unruly. Their main purpose is to help make your hair more manageable.
Hair masks, on the other hand, are formulated to strengthen hair. Like a conditioner, masks add hydration and make hair easier to style, but they go beyond conditioners by also helping to cultivate strength — both in the strand and at the cuticle. That’s why they’re sometimes known as hydrating scalp masks.
4 Hair Mask Benefits You Should Know About
- Add moisture and shine to your hair.
- Reduce frizz, breakage, and environmental damage.
- Soften and add shine to worn out, limp tresses.
- Counteract damage from overprocessing or harsh hair care products.
Different Types of Hair Masks
Some hair mask benefits depend on the particular mask you’re using. There are several different types.
Deep Conditioning Masks
This kind of mask provides the highest level of conditioning, giving your hair the benefits of both a conditioner and a mask. At Giovanni, we offer more than one type of deep conditioning mask.
- Hemp Hydrating & Deep Conditioning Hair Mask helps restore the appearance of hair that has experienced extreme damage. This mask is formulated with botanicals, moisturizers, and amino acids.
- 2chic® D:TOX Deep Conditioning Hair Mask for adding vibrance to hair overloaded by styling products, environmental toxins, and excessive sebum.
Other Types of Hair Masks
Along with deep conditioning masks, there are many different kinds of hair masks — one for all of the various hair care challenges you might face. Some of Giovanni’s other types of hair masks include:
- 2chic® Frizz Be Gone™ Smoothing Hair Mask for taming out-of-control frizz, flyaways, and wild hair.
- 2chic® Ultra-Moist Deep Deep Moisture Hair Mask for providing intense hydration to dry hair and helping to prevent breakage.
- 2chic® Ultra-Luxurious Soothing Hair Mask for pampering stressed-out hair and adding elasticity to prevent future damage.
When to Use a Deep Conditioning Mask
The best time to apply a hydrating scalp mask is when you’ve just gotten out of the shower. Your hair should be freshly washed and towel-dried, but still damp.
How to Apply a Hair Mask
The first thing you’ll notice is that a hair mask is thicker than a conditioner. It may feel heavy once it is in your hair.
Work the deep conditioning mask into your hair with your fingers, starting at your scalp and going all the way to the ends of your hair. You may find it helpful to work on your hair in sections, using clips.
After massaging the mask into your hair with your fingers, comb your hair to spread out the mask evenly.
Next, wait for as long as the instructions on the bottle recommend (for Hemp Hydrating, we recommend you leave the mask in for 3 to 5 minutes to get the full hair mask benefits) before rinsing it out with tepid or cool water. Be sure to rinse out the hair mask completely, doing a second rinse if necessary, because if you leave any mask in your hair, it may over-moisturize.
How Often to Use a Hair Mask
Depending on your hair type and the level of stress on your hair, you may prefer to use a deep conditioning mask anywhere from weekly to monthly. Weekly use is well-suited to arid climates and hair that’s naturally dry or has a lot of damage.
- For a daily option suitable for damaged hair, consider our Smooth As Silk Xtreme™ Protein Hair Infusion.
Keep Using Your Conditioner
A hair mask is not a replacement for your conditioner. When you try a new hydrating scalp mask, keep using your preferred conditioner, too. From there, you can fine-tune your regimen to get the best results.
Find More Hair Care Tips at Giovanni
If you’re looking for a good general-purpose deep conditioning mask with the best mix of hair mask benefits, we recommend the Hemp Hydrating & Deep Conditioning Hair Mask that we mentioned earlier. Our Hemp Hydrating Hair Care collection is designed to give you strong, radiant hair. All of our Hemp Hydrating products are formulated according to our Eco Chic® philosophy of being cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, color-safe, and made without parabens, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals.
At Giovanni, we have been proudly crafting salon-quality hair and facial care products since 1979. Check out our blog to view more hair care articles and videos.